Japanese Tomato Rings

I have never before used Japanese tomato rings to grow tomatoes (or anything else for that matter) but I think I like it greatly! It's not only an easy way to compost, but the cherry tomatoes I have growing around them seem to be utterly thriving! 
I am much preferring to handle the tomatoes on the outside of the ring since you don't have to work around the wire. My rings are smaller than recommended, but for the cherry tomatoes that are on them they seem to work just fine. It also takes up a lot less space, since you can put more plants in the ring area. 
I have 27 plants on 9 rings and have used less space. I'm not sure how much, but I am going to check it out. I think I saved myself two rows for something else. Nearly every one of the tomatoes is in full bloom, and the composting seems to be breaking down nicely. Having it so open also prevents any odor. 
Time will tell, but I think I LIKE it!

This was the way I set them up, just the start of my first experience with Japanese tomato rings.  It was really easy - you just dig a small pit just smaller than the size of your rings, fill with compost (I used dead leaves, mowed grass, shredded paper, and kitchen vegetable scraps for my first fill), then put the rings over the pit.  I planted three tomato plants (I used cherry tomatoes to practice with) evenly around the outside of each ring.


Okay, Mother Nature, now do your amazing stuff!

No comments: