Blasted Weather, Anyways!

Every time I get started in the gardening spirit it rains.  Or freezes.  Too muddy.  No time due to other commitments....etc,etc,etc....

I have planted about half of my deck containers, the other half are just sitting there glaring at me.  Pots of tomatoes with marigolds, green peas with marigolds, yellow banana peppers (no marigolds!) - I think if they had tongues they would stick them out at the empty pots and phhhhtttt!!
I never said I had nice pots on my deck.
Yes, they are all shooting through with their tiny little first leaves - of course they are - it has the chance of freezing tonight.  I will cover them and baby them and hope that they have some new brother and sister pots filled with more plants (or seeds) this weekend.  IF....please see first paragraph....

If you can't tell, I use a lot of marigolds.  I have always loved them in my garden.  Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT plant them for flowers in foofoo flower beds.  I don't plant flowers at all.  (you would think a gardener would have them all over - but I would rather eat vegetables and fruits than foofoo plants!)

Marigolds are a staple in my garden for two reasons.
1) They are the most effective natural bug deterrent I have ever used. I plant them around all of my innocent veggie plants to ward off invaders.
2) Marigolds will grow anywhere, any time, and keep growing until long after the first frost.  In other words they make my garden pretty even though I sometimes neglect it... (again....see first paragraph....)
Even if the weeds get thick and tall you can be sure you will find marigolds thriving between the reeds.  I just love that about them.  They are survivors.  

I have tried other plants as companion plants.  Basil works well....I once had some lemon basil work so well that it overtook half of my tomato plants - I still can't stand the smell of lemon basil!  (Should I have kept it trimmed back?  Hmmmm....a thought...)
Nasturtium is also an option and I have tried that.  They are such tender little plants when they are young - enough said about THAT!  I can be such a monster!

But I will continue with my faithful little friends, the marigolds.  They have such pretty color combinations, and come in different sizes for your viewing enjoyment.  

  So if you don't like the colors yellow, orange, and red  - 


please stay out of my garden!



No comments: