These New-Fangled Machines, Anyway!

I think you can guess that I had computer problems, so I have not been online for a few days! So guess what I HAVE been doing? Why, I thought you'd NEVER ASK!
Planting, of course! 

 I luckily ordered, when the house was built, a wonderful south-facing double glass door, aligned between the master bedroom and my office here. It gets sun the full day. Facing south, it gets the most sun it could possibly get indoors (even my skylights don't get as much, but they are pretty good to revive a sun needy houseplant!) It opens up onto a great big deck that retains heat very efficiently, so on the warmer days you can open the doors and get fresh air and breezes to the plants. I can hardly wait to start picking those tomatoes! It's an easy transition from the doors to the deck for the tomato plants that I always pot for the deck. Until they get big enough to have to stake they can be carried inside out of the cooler night air if need be.

I think we will have an early spring in this area, so I planted tomatoes (five of my favorite varieties, of course) and decided to start on an early crop of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage. If spring comes early, I might just be able to get in two harvests, covering in late fall, naturally!

I just can't seem to help myself! As soon as I start getting the gardening books in the mail I get the fever. I am also always told I am starting too early, but somehow I always have the plants ready to transplant to the garden or my outdoor pots. Even my dad, the loudest naysayer, ends up putting some of my plants into his garden before it's over! But I NEVER, EVER say I told you so!


I have room to start about 200 more in peat pots, so hopefully I can find enough seeds to get started. I usually have good luck with leftovers (I usually buy too many) from last year, but I noticed in WalMart they already started receiving their little packets. My next trip will be to Garden City to see if they have any of their bulk seeds in yet. It may be a limited supply, but at least these days my fingernails are getting a little of that soul-soothing soil under them to keep my head, heart, and hands happy!

Happy Gardening!

No comments: